Friday, April 23, 2010

Excellence

Excellence–noun, the fact or state of excelling; superiority; eminence

If its one thing being in JJ Taekwondo has taught me , its excellence. every time i throw out a kick or go for a run, its in the pursuit of excellence. But I don't think I'll ever achieve excellence, because as i improve, my expectations of myself increase. But that's what excellence is all about isn't it? : to constantly improve and exceed your own expectations.

I remember once during a taekwondo camp we had in changi, our coach brought us out for one gruelling long run (the longest i had till that point). And after finishing the run, he told us that we just covered 18km. I was SHELL-SHOCKED, i far exceeded my own expectations. I cant even cover a good 2.4km , and here i just finished 18 km, this day was the turning point for the things to come in my life, because it reformed my perception about the line where i thought my physical and mental limits were, and that's why i signed up for the 42km sundown marathon the very next month, to test the very core of my soul's limits. And i surprised myself when i finished that 42km too. And from there on, i understood what excellence is: to constantly keep trying and improve beyond your own expectations.

Today, i still cannot finish 2.4km in 10 minutes. But i can definitely juice out a 10k or a 15k (given enough time that is). Moral of the post ? : Most of us, we're stronger than we think we actually are. you just have to give yourself a chance to prove to yourself / ( or in simple terms, to get out of your comfort zone and try )

Also, i dont think i'm exceptionally good or gifted in the art of taekwondo. There are somethings i just don't understand. Take for example a back hook, or a 540 back hook, I couldn't do it the first time round, and i still cant do it right today, yet i've seen people who can grasp the technique within 2 or 3 hours of learning it. But today, i can throw a turning kick 100times better than what i used to do 2 years ago when i just joined the club. Why?, its not because i had a god given talent, but because it didn't come without hard work. Most importantly, it didn't come without learning excellence.

I wont be where i am today if it weren't for the club. (:

No comments: