Sunday, May 31, 2009

105 rounds around the track in <6 hours!

Distance : 42.195km
Time : 5 hours 49 minutes and 45.35 seconds.

Rank
:
1360/3827
(for 42km males)
: 1360/4565 (for 42km males & females)


I raced the night (and won the night) by completing my first ever marathon, in under 6 hours. I NEVER expected to be able to complete it under 6 hours. I shocked even myself. I've never made a run above 18km in distance. But today, i ran 42.195km in one go.

"Good luck" was the reaction that most people gave me, if not the the doubtful eyes that say "your, crazy to attempt 42.195km having only attempted 18km maximum distance." some teachers even told me "finishing it alone will be a challenge for you." Well, to your face! Let me take you through the 42.195km.

But i really have Azhar (6 hour pacer) to thank for the under 6 hour timing. I tailed him from the 18 km mark when i saw "PACER, 0600 hours, SURE CAN ONE!" on the back of his singlet, yup, sure can one. He offered a perfect combination of fast paced running, and HEAVY walking. In fact, our walking speed was even faster than some of the runner's running speeds. We walked past people who were literally RUNNING, what an irony. But his combination of recovery periods from walking, and fast running, maximised my body's potential. Without Azhar, i would be no where close to 6 hours. Azhar even kept me company and we took photos with his cool portable running camera at the 32km mark, and at some other points in the race, which was a perfect distraction when my moral was hell low.
Introducing, Azhar
Azhar and Me near 25km


0000 - Midnight (FLAG OFF). The atmosphere was vivid and carnival like. everyone was running, and overtaking each other

0100 - First hour over. i had reached the 8km mark around this time, and i saw the first person walking already.

0200 - Had covered approx 16km by this time. All systems still green and body still going good.

0251 - I met Azhar, the pacer for the 6 hour completion time, and decided to tail him. covered approx 21km by this distance

0300 - Hunger sets in, and Azhar decides to share some "power beans" with me. Hes a real lifesaver.

0400 - Munched on a few power gels by now. Covered around 28km. Azhar shared some salt tablets with me as well. It helps prevents muscle cramps by replenishing the salt in muscles.

0430 - Reached 32km mark. Legs fairly fatigued.Random picture with a fellow runner with Azhar

0502 - Reached 37km mark. My body shows its first signs of lactate acid build up in my tighs. Last 5km more. this is where my nightmare begins.

0550 - Last 5km was HELL. I could clearly feel the lactate building up in my legs. My legs were clearly at a threshold, running anymore was out of my options, and all i could do was to alternate between short bursting runs and heavy paced walking, a strategy Azhar told me to follow. But hell yeah, finishing in 5hours 50minutes was sensational!

Here are my timings!!

First 10km -
1hour 18minutes

10km - 20km - 1hour 27minutes (met Azhar the 6hour pacer at around 18km)

20km - 30km
- 1hour 08minutes (Good timing compared to the rest of my 10km distances, all thanks to Azhar's pacing)

30km - 42km - 1hour 55minutes (slowest timing of all. Was pushing myself like mad to finish it)


No words can describe the joy i contained when my heavily soaked and blistered feet crossed the 42.195km line.
The experience of running 42.195km was AWESOME, and I'll definitely be back next year for more action. Pushing yourself beyond your limits really is an ADDICTIVE sport and after 42.195km, I'd say impossible is NOTHING.

Although, i think I'll settle for 21km half marathons next. hahah!

No comments: